Sunday, July 11, 2010

Epilogue

It has been a few weeks since the climb and I have had time to reflect, would I do this again? I am not so sure. As much as I would like to be a mountaineer, I don't think it is for me. It was amazing, something I can't fully describe in all this writing, something you won't truly be able to understand unless you experience it yourself (it is different than backpacking or rock climbing. I will continue to engage in these two activities). I mean I grew up with mountain climbing. I climbed Mt. St. Helens at 14, but this mountain, it was a beast. It was extreme. It was and always will be life or death. It is the most physically and mentally demanding thing I ever done and while we did not summit, it is an experience that few people get to partake. It is an experience that will live with me for the rest of my life. Lastly, it is an experience that made every other stress in life miniscule. The mountain grounded me.

Thank you Mom, Jerry and Tonya for being a part of my team and thank you for your encouragement, support and life lessons.

A special thanks to all my friends, family and colleagues who supported me in this endeavor. I did not make the financial deadline to move in August and I am still working hard to scrounge up the funds to go in January, but every little penny contributed and earned help get me there. Should you decide to visit The Netherlands, we(Pat and I) open our arms with a wide welcome and will try our best to accomodate you in any way we can.

Love,
Fawn

No comments:

Post a Comment